Saturday, January 14, 2012

Faithful Fridays

...delayed to Faithful Saturday...opps.

I started off writing this post about my obvious control issue (see the house hunting posts) and how it is my way dealing with anxiety over the unknown.  While it was a good post, it's rather deep for only week two of these Faithful Friday posts, so I decided to do a rewrite.  However, I do feel compelled to write about anxiety because I feel it is a common emotion many struggle with, and it is even more prevalent due to the current economic and political climate.  I'm going to try to keep it a little more surface level, but I'm not all that good with that...

I remember as a little girl watching a show with Psalty - the character was a big blue book.  The book of Psalms to be exact.  I'm not sure exactly how many of these I watched, but I only remember one (sorry Psalty).  There was an episode where a church group goes camping, and two of the kids go off to collect firewood.  They are suppose to stay on a clearly defined path, but they wander off and become lost in the woods.  As the sun begins to set they grow scared and anxious.  One of the children remembers a song based on 1 Peter 5:7, "I cast all my anxiety on Him because He cares for me."  As silly as it may sound, this song continues to provide comfort to me. 

This week has been particularly anxiety ridden.  In two weeks we will have to give our 60 days notice to the apartment complex if we plan to move out at the end of our lease in late March.  If we do not give notice than we are at minimum locked into one extra month at the ridiculous month-to-month rate that is about 45% more than what we are paying right now.  I know it is better than most people who are stuck with a home they are trying to get out of while trying to buy something else.  However, I began this week drowning in anxiety.  I suppose it does not help that I skipped devotional time Sunday - Tuesday.  However, I caught up on Wednesday in Psalms.  The reading plan was for chapters 3-4, and it all spoke to me.  Specifically, "In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety."  A wonderful reminder that regardless of the situation, the large or the small, I dwell in the safety of the Most High.  (Again in Psalm 91:1-2). Not to mention that every time I read in Psalms I am reminded of Psalty and that song. 

Here's the audio clip from that scene: YouTube - Psalty  Warning - it is a super 80's church production.


No comments:

Post a Comment