Monday, February 13, 2012

Chicken Cacciatore


Chicken Cacciatore

Pin It
Growing up there was an Italian restaurant we often went to as a family.  My 10 year old self LOVED this place.  I had the chicken cacciatore every time...with extra olives and 3 or 4 garlic rolls alongside.  I'm not entirely sure if I would still swoon for Alfonzo's as an adult, and unfortunately I cannot return for a true taste test.  At some point in the 90's, the restaurant closed and a Lowe's went up; I'm more of a Home Depot girl, so I was even more depressed about the change.  Luckily after a few tries, I have created my own chicken cacciatore similar to what I remember from Alfonzo's.  I'm pretty thrilled about it, and hope you are too!


Ingredients
2 Chicken Breasts - cut into strips (like chicken fingers)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 large green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 onion, sliced into strips
3-5 baby carrots, sliced into strips
1/2 cup Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay
Handful of green olives and Kalamata olives, pitted and cut in half
16 ounces Diced tomatoes with juice (or tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2-3 basil leaves, chopped

Directions
  1. Mix salt and pepper with flour and dredge chicken to coat lightly.  
  2. Heat oil over medium-high flame in large sauté pan.  Sauté chicken about 3 minutes on each side just until brown.  Transfer chicken to plate and set aside.  
  3. Add bell pepper, onion, garlic and carrot to same pan, reduce heat to medium and sauté about 5 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.  
  4. Add wine, return to heat and simmer until reduced by half.  Add tomato sauce, olives and oregano.  
  5. Return the chicken to pan, stir and continue to simmer about 15 minutes.  Add basil and simmer another 5 minutes.  Serve immediately - plain or over noodles.


No comments:

Post a Comment